Increase the humor content (and laughs) of your professional presentations, informal business talks, and every day conversation.
Who's in the Class
by John Cantu ©HumorMall.com
All rights reserved. You must request permission to reproduce this material in any manner whatsoever.
Okay, that's a little bit of background on myself.
Let's go around the room. Just tell us your name and why you primarily are in this class. What your aims are to get out of this class.
Let me start with you Dennis and go around the room. This is the only time you'll have to speak in public. And it's just so I can get a handle on what you are looking for and if you just say I'm here because I'm here, don't worry about it. It doesn't have to be that elaborate. It can be elaborate or you can say, my name is such and such and I'm here - that's fine. Start with you Dennis:
- Dennis: Want to learn some techniques so I can write comedy.
- John: You are a standup comedian, correct? And actively performing in the Bay Area?
- Dennis: Yes.
- Dave: I perform and I have three clients that I write for and I want to ask more.
- George: I'm down here to see what you have to say.
- John: You are a performer too, right. Primarily performing standup?
- George: Yes.
- Ross: I'm interested in doing standup.
- Ellen: I perform.
- John: So you want more material for your act?
- Ellen: Oh, yeah.
- Catherine: I'm beginning standup and I want to learn how to write.
- Tom: I do standup and I want to learn to write better.
- Steve: I'm a professional speaker and I'm here for more material.
- Rachel: I performed once but I didn't feel comfortable. And I felt that I want to feel really comfortable.
- John: You're not going to get up on stage.
- Jack: I'm here to learn more about being a standup comedian.
- Joe: I perform and I'm here for speaking.
- John: You do both standup and public speaking?
- Joe: Yes.
- Berry: I just want more refinement and structure in my material.
- Rosemary: I'm currently a contributor to I Pride newsletter and I'd like to do standup comedy.
- Spencer: I'm writing material and primarily for organization.
- John: Primarily for standup?
- Spencer: Standup.
- Cathy: I'm a comic and short story writer.
(There were more students but what they said was unintelligible.)
Okay, let's start with this. Oh, I love this class. I wish I had somebody show this to me when I started out. It would have made my life a lot easier, simpler.
- John, how long have you been doing this particular workshop?
This, uh, about 15 years. I actually started teaching writing before I started teaching standup. I identified more - actually, not to offend the standup people here, I identify more with writers than I do with standup. What's my moto about standup comedians? Standup comedians are the scum of the earth. Another issue for another time. (Laughs)
Next: What's So Funny About THAT?